Wednesday, September 9, 2009

She's off to see the Wizard

My oldest daughter left for College today. Like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, she has no clue the adventures that lie ahead of her. I knew this day would come I just didn't know it would happen so fast. I sent her a text that said :

It's hard to describe what I feel today. I am sad you are leaving but excited for the next step in your life. Remember the only way you can fail is if you do not try your best. I will miss your enthusiasm around the house, but I know you are just a phone call away. Christmas is just around the corner, so you will be home before I know it. Your life will now be very different from what you are used to. More freedom but more responsibility too. No one to wake you up, or tell you when to go to bed, laundry to do, and no one to do it but you. You will be an adult but without the bills to pay! What a great time in your life this will be. I know you are ready for this. Have fun, but remember why you are there. Mom and I will always be there for you, so you will never be alone.. Try to sit in front. The prof's like it and you learn more If you get nervous about something, don't keep it to yourself. Talking helps put things in their proper perspective. Don't make others problems yours. It is hard enough to live your own life. don't be afraid to ask for help, from us or from anyone. You will find people love to help (at least the right people do). I pray this becomes the most exciting time in your life (so far) I will always be your biggest fan.

Love
Dad

I have a lot more to tell her, but advice is like food. It's much better if you get it a little at a time.

When Karen and I first had kids, I had all kinds of plans for them. Like most parents I wrote a little script for the way their lives would turn out (sort of my version of the Yellow Brick Road). All she had to do was follow it and at the end there were things she couldn't imagine Of course there was no pain, no sorrow, and in the end they both would up educated, famous and rich. Silly, I know. Life is defined by the struggles we endure ( Dorothy had the apple trees and the witch, and the wizard himself) . Most people I know whose lives I thought were "downhill and shady" had just as much pain and sorrow as everyone else. We all run across a witch or two. The older I got, the more I realized I just wanted them to be happy.

So my oldest daughter is on to the next phase of her life (one where I play a much smaller role) and my youngest is getting her drivers license. I will blink my eyes and she too will be gone. I just hope they realize how much I love them, and how badly I want them to choose happiness (if you read my other blogs you know what I mean by that)

One of my favorite inspirational posters is the one that shows mountain climbers and says "life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"

While I am a little tearful about it, my oldest daughter is on to her next daring adventure, without me this time. While it saddens me to see her go, that was always part of the script I wrote for her when she was just a little girl! Be careful what you wish for (like the Incredible Mr. Limpett), for wishes do come true!

No comments: