Sunday, August 30, 2009

The worlds most precious commodity

Ask someone on the street what the worlds most precious commodity is and you are likely to get different answers.

Some may say oil, or its refined version gasoline. Certainly it is of great importance to developed countries, and even more so to developing countries like China, where access to oil may limit its growth.

Ask a 21 year old and you are likely to get the answer Alcohol (because of its ability to replace fossil fuels no doubt)

An investor may say gold or silver, a Florida farmer might answer orange juice.

Ask a person anywhere outside the North American continent, and the answer is most likely to be clean drinking water. What we take for granted here is of such vital importance elsewhere in the world that people routinely die due to the lack of it. I read an article that said 2.2 million deaths per annum occur from unsanitary water - ninety percent of these are children under the age of five.Sot

Even in the good ol' USA there isn't always the cleanest water (take Florida for instance). The water is always safe, but due to high sulfur content or other impurities, it doesn't smell or taste the best, but no one ever died from drinking it.

I take it for granted that when I turn on the faucet, clean disease free water is there for me to drink, cook with, bathe in, water my lawn with, or to simply watch it go down the drain if i choose. Since I read the article I started conserving water. I no longer wait for the hot water to fill the tea kettle. I catch the cold water before it warms for the shower, in a bottle (OK i don't catch it all) and use that to brush my teeth. I turn the water off after I am soaped and shampooed up, then turn it back on to rinse. I stopped running the water to clean the dishes and started filling a sink to rinse them all. I need to do more to be more water conscious, but at least its a start. This blog is not really about water. Its about all the things I take for granted. I made a list, and I will eventually share the whole list with you

Food: I take for granted the unprecedented access we have in America to safe, disease free food, and that I can get it 24/7/365 in a variety never before available to a population. Asian pears, Italian olive oil, Greek olives, wine cheese and champagne from France, Pistachios from Iran, fruits and vegetables that are not in season here are imported from Chile and other other South American Countries, Lamb from New Zealand, Ham from Poland, Crab from Alaska, Pineapple from Hawaii, and a thousand other things, just by going to COSTCO

Education: Both my girls were not just allowed to go to school, they were required to go (as was I). In many countries, education is only for the privileged. In some countries the sign on the education door says "no women", or "no poor". In poorer nations the children must go to work to help the family survive. Here EVERYONE has the same opportunity to get an education, and to better themselves as a result. Some people think our educational system is flawed. The fault lies not with the system of education in our country, but with the Parents, School Boards, Administrators, Union officials, and Teachers (in that order) of the failing school systems. The system itself is the best in the world, and attracts the best and the brightest from around the world. If your school system is failing you, the fault lies first with the Parents.

Freedom: We have unprecedented freedoms here. We have the freedom to vote, and to recall officials who do not serve us the way we elected them to. We have the freedom to believe in the God of our choice, without the fear of being killed for the way we believe. We have the freedom to speak, and although we may face harsh criticism for voicing our opinions (our detractors have the same freedom to speak as we do!) we do not get put in jail or threatened with a jihad for voicing our opinions. We have the freedom to travel without restrictions or special permissions. We have the freedom to congregate and protest against that which we believe is wrong. We have the freedom to keep and bear arms. We have way too many freedoms to list here. The Freedom commodity draws more people to America than any other. When people complain about limiting our freedoms (like making us get a background check before buying a handgun), I have to laugh. Send the whiners to China, or Russia, or Cuba, (pick any country without a representative democracy, and 1/2 the ones who do!), for a week to learn what real oppression is.

Family: Like most people I take my family for granted. Not that I don't love them, I do. I just don't tell them enough, and I assume way to much. They take me for granted as well (the whole circle of life thing). I don't have time to go into great detail, nor is it very interesting, Suffice it to say my kids think my wife and I were put here to pay their bills, bring them food and drink, and clean up after them (wow, I just realized my kids think they are the Pharaohs and my wife and I are the slaves!)

There are many more precious commodities I take for granted, way to many to write about in one sitting.

Today I am going to be grateful for all the things I take for granted. I am going to God for the gifts he has given me and my family. I am going to thank my mom for always being there when I most needed her. I am going to thank my dad for all the great training he gave me. I am going to thank my wife for standing by me when most women would have fled. I can't decide whether to be grateful to my girls for trying hard to live up to my high expectations, or to beat them with a stick for not being more grateful for all the opportunities we have given them (I'll probably skip the beating for now)

If we all took our gifts a little less for granted, it may not make the world a better place, but it will make us better people.

My opinion, and in America I can have it, speak openly about it (while drinking clean water, carrying a gun, eating a sandwich, protesting against the war in Iraq, and studying for an advanced degree) if I feel like it!

No comments: