Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I don't want to talk about it

I haven't blogged in a couple weeks. It isn't for lack of material or time. I have had a number of things I wanted to blog about. The reason I haven't is I know there are members of my family that would not want me to put certain things on the web, so some of my best ideas have gone into my private diary.

Lately things have been kinda tense around my house. It is just my wife, my youngest daughter, and me, now that my oldest is away at college. I expected things would be a little easier, but I expected wrong. It seems my youngest has "picked up the slack" when it comes to creating tension.

I tried to find out what is going on, but her response was "I don't want to talk about it Dad". Thinking my wife knew what was going on I asked her. Her answer was "I don't want to talk about it.

I called my oldest who is away at school with some great news (I got her a software program she has been asking for). When i talked to her, she seemed a little down, so I asked her what was wrong. Her answer...(do I have to say it) "I don't want to talk about it Dad"

I don't understand it. It is not just me. My kids "don't want to talk about it" with my wife either. I hope this is just a phase that's going on in my family. To me, the way to resolve problems is to talk about it. But what can you do if no one else wants to talk? I have honestly begun talking to myself (sad isn't it?) I guess in a way that is what this blog is, me talking to myself and trying to capture my thoughts ideas and feelings before I leave this world behind.

But really....I don't get it, and the problem is no one can (or will) explain it to me. When I try to gently prod them, they clam up and repeat (in ever increasing volume) "I don't want to talk about it"

Oh well, all I can do is keep trying and hope someday they trust me enough to open up. Until then I will just keep talking to myself...and to you.

I keep reminding myself that anything worthwhile takes time and persistence. I have the persistence...do I have the time?

No comments: